Friday 29 August 2014

Really tough colour combo


I received my wonderful Verve stamp set (called Surely Goodness) on the post the other day, the one I won at Mojo Monday challenges. I chose this set with the pretty flowers because I thought they would be really fun to colour in. And because you can never have too many flower stamps. When in doubt, always go for flowers. I couldn't wait to play with it, and thought the only right place to start was with the wonderful Viva La Verve challenge (by the way, you don't have to use Verve stamps to join in the fun). I really like their sketch over there this week, you can see it below.



Then the only decision was what colours to use. I thought I would really challenge myself and use this week's Colour Me... colours, which frankly is a combo I would never have put together on my own. I really didn't think I would be able to make anything useful out of it, but after many trials and errors I did manage to put together a more or less bearable card after all. But it's worth pushing your boundaries a bit from time to time and create something you never thought you would. 


I stamped the flower with Memento Tuxedo Black ink and coloured with Stampin' Write markers. I fussycut the background for the flower from a Stampin' Up DSP using a printout of a scalloped rectangle as a template. I stamped some of the flowers in Pink Pirouette onto cream cardstock, and stamped one of the sentiments from the stamp set in Marina mist onto the background. For the lower part of the card I used another Stampin' Up DSP and added some ribbon in Tangerine Tango (I don't have Tangelo Twist, so I substituted with the closest colour I had in my stash). Finally I die cut the scalloped borders using a Tim Holtz die. I also stamped inside the card and on the envelope, just because I had so much fun colouring in the flower. 
   


Cardstock: Stampin' Up Tangerine Tango card, Hobbycraft 160 gsm cream card
Paper: Stampin' Up DSPs Sycamore Street, Polka Dot Parade, Fan Fair
Stamps: Verve Surely Goodness
Ink: Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black, Stampin' Up Marina Mist and Pink Pirouette, Stampin' Write markers in Marina Mist, Tangerine Tango and Pink Pirouette
Other: Tim Holts alterations Vintage Lace dies, Stampin' Up Tangerine Tango ribbon

5 comments:

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

It seems I wasn't the only one to find this a tough colour combination, but I'm glad you persevered as I think your card is great! I love the way you've combined all the sketch elements in the various colours, and the subtle background flower stamping. A great card - thanks for joining us over at Colour Me...! Card Challenge this week!

Unknown said...

Super cute card! Love your coloring and how you decorated the inside, too! And you are right: if in doubt, go with flowers :D

Thank you for playing along with us at Colour Me…! this week!

Julia
CMCC Design Team

Claire Broadwater said...

It doesn't appear you had trouble with the color combo! LOL! Great card-inside and out! The bright, beautiful flowers make this card so happy! Thank you for joining us at Colour Me this week! XX

Unknown said...

You did such a great job combining the colours that I would have never guessed that you thought this was a tough challenge! Great card! Thanks for playing along at Colour Me...!

Janelle Stollfus said...

Oh I love that flower repeated through all the card set. The coloring is vivid and so appealing in the color combo. I'm glad you stuck to it and made the colors work for you.

Thank you for playing with this sketch in the August Viva La Verve Sketch Challenge. I hope we'll see more creations in the September gallery from you!