Friday 5 September 2014

Kick start CASEing


There is a great new Stampin' Up challenge blog called CASEing the Catty. I've been meaning to make something for each of the challenges, but then there's always been other projects getting in the way. This week, I haven't had any time to craft as I had some lovely visitors from back home. Taking a few days off from crafting has certainly put a dent in my mojo, and there is no better way to get going again than to CASE something (CASE stands for Copy and Share Everything). The idea for the challenge is that you find a card for inspiration from the current Stampin' Up catty and either directly re-create it, or use it as inspiration for something you are making. This week the theme for the challenge is "Card Giving" which covers pages 102-143 in the current catty

Stampin' Up Annual Catalogue 2014-2015 page 126 
I found a project on page 126 which is originally made using the Regarding Dahlias stamp which I love but don't have. I think the card is very impressive although it's rather simple. So I decided to use a stamp I have with a similar feel to it, the lovely Swallowtail stamp. I decided to stick with the yellow colour scheme as this week's Colour me... challenge is monochromatic yellow (neutrals are also allowed).
 I stamped the image and heat embossed it with fine clear embossing powder. For the sentiment I selected a stamp from the Chalk Talk set. I haven't bought any of the gold baker's twine, so I settled for the next best alternative, some yellow baker's twine from my stash. I also stamped a part of the swallowtail inside the card, and made an envelope inspired by the one in the pic from the cattie.


I absolutely adore the Stampin' Up cattie, it is such a great source of inspiration. I think it's easy to think you aren't artistic enough to create your own cards, but there are so many ways of finding your own creativity and CASEing other's ideas (and giving due credit to the originals of course) is the best way to get started. Once you get a bit more sure of what you are doing, you will find your own style as well, but for a quick card there is nothing like browsing some good craft blogs/challenges/catties and then just get stamping. I also think it's important to keep in mind that you don't need a crazy stash of things to get going, a few well chosen stamps and ink pads with white cardstock and some ribbon or other small accessories will get you far when you mix them up with your imagination.

Card: Leonardo Stationery 300 gsm Smooth White Card
Stamps: Stampin' Up Swallowtail, Chalk Talk
Ink: Stampin' Up Daffodil Delight, Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper: Stampin' Up Patterns Stack - Brights Collection
Other: Ranger extra fine clear embossing powder, yellow bakers twine from my stash

6 comments:

Bronwyn Eastley said...

I really love how you have CASED the simple layout from the card in the catty. A lovely choice of colour and stamps. Thanks for playing along at CTC this week.

Unknown said...

That's a simple yet really stunning CASE - thank you so much playing along at CTC this week - hope to see you next time.

Sharnee Torrents said...

WOW this is a lovely card, the yellow really makes it pop!! Love that about butterflies you can stamp them any colour you like!! Thanks for joining with us at CASE-ing the Catty!
Smiles Sharnee :)

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful. You did a great job CASEing the card, especially adding that extra touch to the inside. Love the envelope, too.

Thank you for playing along with us at Colour Me…! this week!

Julia
CMCC Design Team

AB. said...

This is gorgeous!! I love the inside too....great work! Thanks for joining us at CASE-ing the Catty!

Becky said...

Very pretty!