Friday 22 May 2015

Butterfly on crumpled vellum


Well it was the usual exciting drama on the way home from work... "Will I ever be able to change up to second gear, or will it be 27 miles in first gear?" Despite everyone and their best friend heading home at the exact same time as me, I eventually made it home to enjoy the beautiful warm sunshine and a glass of that cold very British drink you have on the lawn.

Then it was time for the pleasant part of Friday - crafty time. I absolutely love this week's colours over at Colour Me. I was also inspired by the Butterfly theme over at Friday Mashup. I was going to do the mashup of butterflies and lace, but I just couldn't find a place for the lace in the end, so this time it's just butterflies. I'm also linking up over at Make My Monday where the theme is Things With Wings and Creatalicious Challenges where the theme is Butterflies.


For the card, I started with inking a piece of vellum using Peeled Paint, Peacock Feathers and Squeezed Lemonade distress inks, and spraying with a mister. After drying the ink, I crumpled the vellum to give it some texture. I used the Lawn Fawn Stitched rectangle dies to die cut a frame from Bermuda Bay cardstock. I stamped the gorgeous Swallowtail stamp in Versamark and heat embossed with white powder, and coloured from the back of the image using Sharpies. I like using Sharpies for colouring vellum as it gives a bright enough colour to show beautifully through the vellum. The sentiment didn't turn out quite as I wanted it, I would have wanted to stamp the "hello" onto the vellum background, but I should have thought of that before crumpling up the vellum... So I had to come up with an alternative solution.

Card: Dovecraft premium 110 gsm vellum, Stampin' Up Bermuda Bay and So Saffron
Stamps: Stampin' Up Swallowtail
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress inks Peeled Paint, Peacock Feathers, Squeezed Lemonade, Versamark
Other: Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle dies, Stampin' Up Hello You die, Papermania Seafoam White embossing powder


9 comments:

Heidi Weaver said...

Wow! I love your card! That crumpled vellum is stunning and makes a wonderful background for your butterfly. It's a technique I'll have to try. Thanks so much for joining us for the Friday Mashup this week.

Libby said...

Beautiful die-cut butterfly, and I like the jewel-toned, variegated, crumbled background as well.

stampwithsandy said...

Wow, I don't know what is more amazing, your crumpled vellum background or the heat embossed butterfly! Thanks for sharing with us this week at Colour Me!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Wow, so very gorgeous! Love it! Thank you for playing at Colour Me!

Lisa said...

Love what you did with the vellum, it looks great! The white embossing really pops!

Thanks for playing along with us at The Friday Mashup!

brrenwick said...

Beautiful card! This is still one of my favorite butterfly stamps! Thanks for playing along at Friday Mashup!

Melanie said...

A wonderful card!
Thank you soo much for taking part in our "Butterfly” challenge over at Creatalicious & good luck in the draw.
Hope to see you again in our next challenge as well…

Hugs,
Melanie
(DT Penny's Paper Crafty Challenges)
(DT-Coordinator Creatalicious Challenges)
(DT Come and Get It)

Suzi B said...

Thank you for joining us at MMM with this delightful card.... love the colourful, crumpeled vellum.
Suzi B DT x

PaperDaisies said...

Love how you have made the butterfly. Clever use of vellum too. Thank you for sharing your talents with us over at Creatalicious. Hugs Nina