Wednesday 7 October 2015

Clean and Simple Christmas in two ways


What an exciting Great British Bakeoff final! I was so excited to see every one of the finalists succeed so perfectly with their showstoppers. But I'm sad that it will again be another full year before we can enjoy another season of perfect cakes. Oh well, I will just have to stick with my own bakes until then. I have to say I have been fortunate to enjoy some good bakes at work as well, a colleague spoiled us all with not just a huge chocolate and raspberry cake but with some delicious cheese scones too!

Before sitting down to enjoy the BakeOff, I did enjoy making a bit of a mess in the craft room. The new challenge over at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge is CAS Christmas, so I thought I would try to come up with a design I could mass produce. So I created some masks using Lawn Fawn Mini Snowflakes and Cole's ABCs die cuts. First, I got out my spritzing tool (oh no, don't give me that look, and stop rolling your eyes. I will get tired of it... eventually...). However, after making my card, I had a cramp in my hand so I realised mass production of this design will give me tenosynovitis. So I did try another approach with watercolours, and I really really really love the look of this approach, it's messy, unpredictable and almost has an "artsy" feel about it. However, after attaching and detaching all the masks twice, I decided this won't be my mass-produced design. It turned out to be a bit tedious. 



The layout of my card was inspired by the sketch over at CAS(E) This Sketch. I'm also linking up with the new challenge over at Lawnscaping, where the theme is to focus on the sentiment. Along the same lines, I'm linking up with AAA Cards, where the theme is word play. I will also have to apologise for the horrible quality of the photos, using flash on a mostly white card is beyond my skills. 




Card: 300 gsm white card hammered card, 300gsm watercolour paper, Vanguard coloured card Deep Blue and Navy Blue
Stamps: Stampin' Up Endless wishes
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress inks Broken China, Tumbled Glass, Mermaid Lagoon, Iced Spruce, Hickory Smoke, Blueprint Sketch, Chipped Sapphire, Salty Ocean, Black Soot, Faded Jeans
Other: Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle, Mini Snowflakes and Cole's ABCs dies, adhesive mini gems from my stash (no brand, bought on eBay)


5 comments:

Leigh Penner said...

These are both so pretty! I especially love the first one! Wonderful take on the sketch!

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Such a clever technique and so inspiring. Great use of the sentiment - making it super focal and Thanks so much for linking up and playing along at AAA Cards.
Sarah x

Jill V said...

I love how you did the same card twice with different techniques to show the difference. My favourite is the "spritzed" one - and I can completely relate to the hand cramping! Great take on our WordPlay challenge - thanks for playing along! Jill AAA Cards

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Love your take on the sketch and your great idea for our Word Play challenge. Great design and technique. Thanks for linking up and playing with us at AAA Cards.

Heather said...

Beautiful Christmas cards, lovely design and colours - gorgeous techniques with fabulous snowflakes and seentiment!!

hugs
Heather xx
Thanks so much for joining us with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.