Tuesday 19 December 2017

Polar Bear and Northern Lights


Our living room has transformed into Christmas lights central. I decided this year to go minimal with Christmas decorations - no tree, no tinsel. Instead lots of warm white Christmas lights, poinsettias and candles. I'm loving it (although I had to let the BF put his blue Christmas lights somewhere, and he chose the bedroom... oh well, as long as they are not in the living room, eh?). But the presents are wrapped, food prep is done as much as it can and tomorrow I'll deliver the last of my Christmas cards and presents to my colleagues after which I'll start focussing more on winding down and relaxing than anything else. Every month I set myself one task for the following month, and the task I set myself at the end of November was to spend some time in December sipping some mulled wine or hot cocoa and reading a book, or maybe just enjoying all the Christmas lights in the house.

I haven't had much time for creative crafting - at best I've managed a few batches of really simple Christmas cards and gift tags. But the other night, inspired by the most amazing Northern Lights we saw when we spent a week in Finnish Lapland a few weeks ago, I wanted to create a card inspired by the most magical lights in the sky. I used watercolours to create the sky, splattering it with white acrylic paint for stars. Then I stamped and coloured the cute polar bear from Lawn Fawn Critters in the Snow.

I'm linking up with the following challenges:
CAS on Friday - Christmas 
CAS Mixup - Stamping + 2 of your choice (watercolour marbling and die cutting)
CAS Watercolour - ATG
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Stitch It



Card: 250 gsm white card, scrap of red card, Daler&Rowney 300 gsm watercolour paper
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Critters in the Snow, Hats Off and matching dies
Ink and colouring: Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black, Copics, Gansai Tambi watercolours
Dies: Lawn Fawn Stitched Circles, Scripty Merry
Other: Ranger Ice Stickles

5 comments:

nancy littrell said...

Aaahhh..such a sweet polar bear with a gorgeous Northern Lights sky background. So pleased you joined us at CAS Mix Up and CAS Watercolour this very busy time of year. Hugs and Merry Christmas.

Gayatri said...

Gorgeous galaxy background. Love the faux stitch details. Thanks for playing along Simon Says Stamp Stitch It Challenge. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Gayatri xx

Bonnie said...

Beautiful Northern lights, Karola! They are perfect with this sweet polar bear! Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up and CAS Watercolour!

Loll said...

You have created the most beautiful northern light background, Karola!! Amazing! How exciting to see that in real life! Sweet bear to finish off your card. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up and CAS Watercolour!

Karen Dunbrook said...

very sweet image and the bkg really set it off so well.
Thanks for playing along with the CAS Watercolour Challenge.
:) Karen